Burton's Blog

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Reading

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to read. When I was a kid, I always had a book in hand. I was definitely a bookworm. :-) Just so you know, I'm open to suggestions. If you have a book you love and you think I'd enjoy it too, feel free to mention it in the "Comments" section.

So what am I reading now? Several things, actually (it's normal for me to have several books going at once).

1. The Bible--various parts, based on a book called "The Quiet Time Companion". Most recently, I've read several chapters of Acts. Next week I plan on reading Ruth.

2. "Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students" by Kathleen Cushman.
This one is for my Student Teaching Seminar in the fall. I'll be student teaching in the Winooski Public Schools. Official start date: August 28. I'm working toward a K-12 ESL Teaching License, so I'll teach K-5 from then until mid-October, and then high school from October 23rd until mid-December.

3. "Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye? Trusting God with a Hope Deferred" by Carolyn McCulley. This was recommended by a friend, so I looked it up on Amazon.com. I've been thinking a lot about the general topic of this book, which is what it means to be a godly woman who is single. It's written by an "older" single woman especially for those who have been waiting a while for Prince Charming (as opposed to college students or recent grads). So far, it's pretty encouraging.

4. "Merlin" by Stephen R. Lawhead. See, I also read fiction. Fantasy, even. :-)

5. "Morning and Evening" by Charles Spurgeon. It's a devotional, and I usually read it daily (once, sometimes twice a day). Good stuff. I REALLY like Spurgeon.

I told you I read a number of books simultaneously. ;-)

1 Comments:

  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger MM said…

    These sound like great books. I would love to hear your perspective on "Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?" as I've heard it is a very good book. Did you know Carolyn McCulley has a blog? I have found it very interesting and challenging on many occasions. It is also simply a very enjoyable read.(http://solofemininity.blogs.com)

    As for the other books, Eric would highly approve of Merlin. :) And I think I should get myself a copy of that Spurgeon devotional - I've heard it referenced a few times and it sounds really good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home