Burton's Blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Student Teaching Update

Today I had my Mid-Semester Review. It went well. The biggest area I need to grow in is classroom management--no big surprise to me. Lots of strengths mentioned, which was encouraging. I also had a chance to sit down with my soon-to-be cooperating teacher, Inge. Inge is the high school ESL teacher. Tomorrow is my last day at the elementary, and then on Monday I'll switch to the high school. Should be interesting.

After my discussion with Inge, I brought home two social studies textbooks and an interesting-looking novel about a Spanish-speaking immigrant to Vermont. That's what the intermediate ESL class will read next, after finishing a poetry unit. Meanwhile, I can start working on the unit that I need to do for my portfolio/seminar. I'll be doing it on Native Americans (a little) and early settlers in the U.S. Two things already excite me about this:

1. Essentially I get to teach about the first immigrants and refugees to come to the U.S.--a great connection to my students and opportunity to learn about their experiences.

2. I get to talk about the Pilgrims/first Thanksgiving and the Puritans. *grin*

My first day of student teaching at the high school should be pretty easy; Monday is Id-al-Fitr, the end of Ramadan, the biggest celebration of the year for Muslims. Apparently, a lot of students will be absent so that they can celebrate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home