Burton's Blog

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Good News

This morning I spent some time reading and pondering Luke 9. After observing that Jesus came to suffer, die, and be raised again on the third day (verse 22), the study guide I was using asked this very good question: "Why does it matter to you that Jesus came to suffer and die?" Here's how I answered that question in my journal:

"Because He did it for me. He suffered the punishment for my sin and died my death. His resurrection proved that His mission was successful and gives me confidence that God will also raise me from death and has already raised me from spiritual death.

Also, because he suffered, He sympathizes with me when I suffer (Hebrews 2:18; 4:15). He understands how it feels because He experienced it too.

Finally, it gives my own suffering meaning. It shouldn't surprise me that I'll suffer; even Jesus, the perfectly obedient Son, suffered. I'm not above Him; I'm not above suffering. But His resurrection gives me hope in my suffering. There is always a resurrection with God; death is not the end. There's always a morning after a dark night. God always wins."

I needed that reminder. I've been struggling with some anxiety about student teaching. I'll start soon--possibly as soon as tomorrow if the inservice day sounds helpful. Definitely next Monday (my official start date). I've also felt a bit discouraged recently. So the reminder of the Lord's great love for me, His great kindness and mercy, His sympathy with me in my weaknesses, and the hope I have in Him was very sweet this morning. I love you, Lord. Forgive me for my lack of faith and for my pride in thinking somehow I shouldn't have to suffer. Thank you for loving me so and for Jesus' suffering, death, and resurrection. Thank you that I'm alive in Him, that He always lives to intercede for me, and for the hope of resurrection and glory in Him. I pray that like Jesus, I'll learn obedience through what I suffer, and that it will accomplish your good purpose for it in my life. Please make me a woman of noble character, for your glory and your name's sake.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    That is a great question to ask ourselves. I used that same question to end our tea time biblestudy. I helped me articulate the treasure we surely have.. and not just take it for granted.

    Praise God.. for not only giving us His son but for giving us the Word by which to know Him.

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger adnil73 said…

    Hey Lisa,
    I found you here through M-M's blog and I'm glad I did. That was a very encouraging post, especially since I'm apprehensive about the start of my busiest semester ever. It's great to be reminded of the hope that we have. :)
    B.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger MM said…

    Good words... an excellent reminder. Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home