Burton's Blog

Sunday, December 17, 2006

I'm finished!

I finished student teaching on Friday. I had a great experience and learned a lot. On Friday my cooperating teacher even threw a small farewell party for me, complete with cookies and juice. I went around and got pictures of a number of students, which I'll upload in a moment.

I have so many memories of student teaching. . .

  • Teaching a student the world "apple" and learning the Somali word for apple ("tuvah")
  • Receiving a book of poetry from the Bosnian translator on the second day of student teaching
  • Sharing a Thanksgiving meal with students who are new to the U.S.
  • Wrestling with issues of classroom management
  • Joy when students "get it", or when they ask great questions
  • Visiting a student when she was hospitalized
  • Watching the schools deal with Muslim students who wanted to pray during the day
  • Giving up the classroom for a few minutes at the end of lunch so students can pray
  • Observing and getting to know other teachers
  • Listening to the Somali translator's story about how he had to leave one refugee camp for a different one because his life was in danger

Never a dull moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home